Tuition Due Dates
Make a Payment
- Credit Cards
- Web Checks
- Payment Plan Enrollment
Pay on campus at the Cashiers Office (1006 Rollins Hall) during available hours. The Cashier's Window does NOT accept credit cards.
- Checks & Money Orders
Office of Finance
Old Dominion University
Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall
Norfolk, VA 23529-0046
- Checks & Money Orders (made to ODU & include UIN)
- Allow 7 business days for mail payments to post.
- International Payments via Flywire
- Domestic Wire Transfers
- Third Party Payments
Welcome New Students!
Welcome class of 2026! Please check out our Fall 2022 Orientation video recording for information on paying your tuition as a new student.
Cash payments must be made in person in the Cashiers' Office, located on campus at 1006 Rollins Hall. General service hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, but please check the posted Cashier Window Hours. We encourage students to not bring large sums of cash onto the campus, as large cash payments are not recommended. Rather, the University offers other convenient payment options.
Cash Intake Form Requirement
PLEASE NOTE: Anytime the University receives payments in cash, money orders, travelers' checks, or cashier's checks totaling $10,000 or less in one or more related reportable transactions, the IRS requires the University to file Form 8300. This form must be filed within 15 days of reaching payments totaling over $10,000 and must also identify the individual making the cash payment. Reportable transactions include payment of services such as tuition, room and board, fees, and other related educational costs. Any individual making a cash payment of $10,000 or less will be required to complete a Cash Intake Form upon making the payment. If the individual refuses to complete the form, the cash payment cannot be accepted.
Checks and Money Orders
Please make checks or money orders payable to "Old Dominion University" and include the student's identification number (UIN) on the check. Students paying by check or money order are encouraged to pay by mail. Returned checks and charges are subject to a returned check fee. Please allow 7 business days for mail payments to be posted.
Please mail check or money order payments to the following address:
Office of Finance
Old Dominion University
Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall
Norfolk, VA 23529-0046
*Do not send address changes to this address.
*Do not send scholarship checks to this address.
For out-of-country checks, please make checks payable in US dollars only.
Address changes should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.
Students can pay via WEB Check (from checking accounts only).
NOTE - When using the Web Check process, please ensure that you enter all checking account information accurately. There is a $50 administrative charge for all checks and charges returned unpaid by the bank for any reason. If the check or charge is returned unpaid for any reason, a financial hold is placed on the student's account. The student will need to repay the check or charge along with the $50 administrative fee with certified funds such as cash, cashier's check, and/or a money order. Failure to do so will result in additional penalties. If repayment of a returned check is made with another check, there is a 10 business day wait before the hold will be removed from the student's account.
After three(3) returned checks per student, payment MUST be made via a cashier's check, a money order, an in-person cash payment, or with a credit card online via LeoOnline. If paying with a credit card online, there is a non-refundable transaction fee of 2.85% or $3.00, whichever is greater, for each transaction.
WARNING: Students may not use Credit Card Convenience Checks or savings accounts to make payments via Old Dominion University's Web Check payment process. Convenience checks and savings accounts are not recognized by automated banking systems. Since the bank cannot locate a specific account associated with a convenience check or a savings account, a student might not be aware of the outstanding amount until contacted by a collection agency.
Payment may be made via: the Web Check process (if using a checking account ONLY), a cashier's check, a money order, an in-person cash payment, or via a credit card in via LeoOnline. It is important to note that if paying with a credit card online, there is a non-refundable transaction fee of 2.85% or $3.00, whichever is greater, for each transaction.
Payments through e-Bill: MIDAS ID and password required. Remittance should be made in U.S. funds in the form of a credit card (Master Card, VISA, Discover or American Express) or WebCheck. No credit card convenience checks are accepted. Convenience checks are not recognized by automated banking systems and will be returned unpaid. Please note that payments are applied to the oldest debt first.
The University's Cashiers Office does not accept credit card payments at the window. Credit card payments on student accounts will be processed via Leo Online.
- ODU accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards for student tuition and fees.
- Students may make charge card payments via Leo Online.
- Authorized users may make charge card payments via Touchnet.
- When paying by credit card, students or authorized users will be automatically redirected to our credit card processor (PayPath).
- Students who pay using a credit card will be charged a 2.85% convenience fee effective May 1, 2018 (or $3.00, whichever is greater).
Old Dominion University offers a payment plan, administered by the Office of Finance. When setting up the payment plan, charges for each semester are divided into 4 equal payments with a $40 non-refundable set-up fee. The set-up fee must be paid at the same time the payment plan is established online. Please note: payment plans may NOT be revoked once established.
- Payment plan is available for Fall and Spring terms ONLY. Payment plans are currently not available for Summer sessions.
- Payment plan is currently NOT available to students taking non-credit classes.
- Payment plans must be established for each term by the tuition deadline.
- Either the student or an Authorized User can set up a payment plan, but only the student is responsible for ensuring their account remains current.
Examples of Third Party Payments include:
- Military Tuition Assistance (TA),
- Commonwealth Vocational Rehabilitation,
- public school systems,
- Navy College,
- Embassy of Botswana,
- Ford UAW,
- Greater Peninsula Private Industry Council,
Old Dominion University has partnered with Flywire to provide ODU international students with an easy and secure method to send international payments in your home currency. Flywire is the only international payments partner authorized by ODU. To ensure that your payments are safe and secure, and are credited to your account in a timely manner, please do not send payments to ODU outside of the authorized process.
- Payment options & currencies from countries all around the world.
- Significant savings on bank fees and exchange rates, while guaranteeing the lowest available exchange rates through their Best Price Guarantee
- Payment tracking from start to finish
- 24/7 access to their dedicated multilingual Customer Support Team via email, telephone, live chat, and a WeChat QR code for Chinese live support
To start an international payment through Flywire, visit odu.flywire.com
Out of Country Checks
For out-of-country checks, please make checks payable in US dollars only. See the "checks & money orders" section above for more info.
The University is also able to accept direct wire payments (see notes below).
- Please send in U.S. Dollars (required)
- ODU will assess a fee for this service of $50.00 USD
- Include the student's name and ID number (UIN) for appropriate posting to the student account (required). ODU will not be liable for any penalties for wire payments received without appropriate identification.
- Please allow 7 to 10 business days for funds to be applied to the account.
- Contact Customer Service at 757-683-3030 for actual wiring instructions.
Using Financial Aid to Pay Tuition
The Office of Finance is the disbursing agent for financial aid funds. Financial aid funds are applied directly to student accounts when the funds are available. Your e-bill shows financial aid credited to your account. "Memo" aid does not reduce the amount due. Please complete all your financial aid requirements in advance to ensure financial aid disburses to your account prior to the tuition deadline. You may cancel all or part of your Federal Direct Loan within 14 days after loan money is credited to your student account, however, written notification to the Office of Student Financial Aid is required.
- In accordance with Title IV regulations, students will NOT be able to use financial aid for future semesters to cover prior semester debts in another aid year.
- If you owe for prior semester charges, you will have a financial hold on your account.
- Prior semester debts must be paid in full before the financial hold will be removed from the account. Students will not be allowed to add additional courses to meet requirements to have their aid disbursed if there is an outstanding past due balance.
- There may be a delay in processing financial aid refunds for students with outstanding prior semester balances (applies to those who receive a paper check and those who have signed up for eRefunds).
Financial Aid Refunds
For credit balances due to the student, the funds will be returned to the student in the form of a check or e-Refund. Balance of aid checks are normally made payable to the student and mailed to the student's permanent address on file with the Registrar. Checks for balance of aid are released 5-7 business days after the credit balance is created. If the charges exceed the aid awarded, the student is held responsible for any remaining balance by the tuition deadline.
Notices & Reminders:
- Students are responsible for debts resulting from registration for courses. Registrations will not be canceled for non-payment of tuition or non-attendance. Therefore, failure to pay for courses or attend courses will not release students from the responsibility for these charges.
- The Cashiers Office no longer accepts credit card payments at the window. Please check the credit card section of this page for full details about changes to charge card payments.
Student Financial Holds
All outstanding financial debts (including parking fines & library holds) must be paid in full in order for students to register. Holds will not be lifted to allow pre-registration. No grades, transcripts or other services will be provided until the hold is removed. After fully satisfying the debt, students may access records and register the day after payment is made.
Past Due Accounts
If payments are not made by the specified deadline, the account will be considered delinquent and a financial "hold" will be placed on the account. At 30+ days past due, a 5% late penalty fee is assessed. At 120+ days past due, the account is forwarded to an external collection agency and a 25% collection fee is charged on the unpaid balance.
Pending Residency Decisions
Students with pending domicile decisions are still responsible for paying tuition by the deadline, for at least the in-state rate. Once the domicile decision is made, if they are classified as out-of-state, the difference between the in-state and out-of-state rate will be due immediately. DO NOT wait for the domicile decision to pay tuition.
In-State Tuition Rate Assessment
In-state tuition rates are a privilege granted by the Code of Virginia and are awarded only to students who apply by the application deadline. If you do not apply for in-state privileges, you will be billed at the out-of-state rate. Upon approval, rates will be revised appropriately.
Tuition Assistance Authorization for Military
Per military policy, social security numbers (SSN) are not printed on military Tuition Assistance (TA) authorization forms. Service members MUST supply either a SSN or University Identification Number (UIN) on the form. Without SSN or UIN, the form cannot be processed.
Returned Checks & Charges
There is a $50 administrative fee for all payments returned unpaid for any reason. You have 7 days to repay the returned amount + the $50 fee before your account becomes past due. If repaying with another check, there is a 10-day wait before hold is removed. After 3 returned checks, they will no longer be accepted.
Please send email inquiries to: email@example.com or contact:
- Office of Financial Aid (757) 683-3683 with questions regarding financial aid, loans, and/or scholarships.
- Office of Finance - Student Accounts Receivable (757) 683-3030 with billing and/or payment questions.
- University Registrar's online form for issues with registration, in-state rate assessment, address changes.
- Office of Distance Learning for assistance for Distance Learning Students.