Small, Women-Owned & Minority-Owned Program
A SWaM vendor is a Small, Women-owned or Minority-owned business that has been certified through the Commonwealth by the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD).
HOW TO BECOME SWaM CERTIFIED
All qualifying small, women-owned or minority-owned businesses are strongly encouraged to become certified. To become certified as a SWaM business:
- Complete the initial certification application.
- The SBSD will then contact you to either request additional documents or provide your SWaM certification number.
Contact the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) at 804-786-6585 for further information on the SWaM certification process.
Certified SWaM vendors are listed in the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) database. You can search for a SWaM vendor by company name, NIGP commodity code description, or zip code.
Vendor Search Guide:
SWaM Home Page
- Go to the SBSD website home page located at: www.sbsd.virginia.gov
- On the SBSD home page, scroll down and click on SWaM and DBE Directory.
Small Business & Supplier Diversity SWaM & DBE Directory
- Another window should open. Click on the Small Business & Supplier Diversity SWaM and DBE Directory link.
Specifying SWaM Search Type
- The SWaM Directory Listing page contains filters to help narrow down your search.
- You can search by Certification Type, NIGP Code, NAICS code, City, and/or ZIP Code.
- There is also a Search field where you can type what you are looking for or enter in the Company's name.
Searching for a Vendor by Company Name
- To search for a vendor by name, enter the name of the vendor you would like to look up in the Search field. (For this example we will search for the vendor "RGH Enterprise".) Press Enter.
- Any vendor that matches your search criteria will populate, along with the vendor's information.
Alternate Search Methods
Filter by Certification Type, City or Zip Code.
To search using Certification Type, you can either type in what certification(s) you are looking for in the Search field or select the certification type from the list. Click Apply when done.
To search using City, you can either type in the City in the Search field or select the city or cities from the list. Click Apply when done.
To search using ZIP Code, you can either type in the ZIP Code in the Search field or select the ZIP Code from the list. Click Apply when done.
You can also use the Search field to search more than one criteria by using commas to separate keywords.
To complete ODU's SWaM Procurement Training, view the SWaM Procurement Training Powerpoint in its entirety. To complete the training, you must click the link on the final slide to fill out the training verification information.
- City of Virginia Beach Virtual SWaM Business Informational and Training Sessions
- Feb 10 - HRSD Virtual Vendor Fair
- Feb 16 - Why and How to Get WBENC Certified - ODU Women's Business Center
- Feb 21 - Business Planning Research - ODU Women's Business Center
- March 9 - Norfolk State University Buyer/Vendor Opportunity Event - Virtual
- March 10 - 7th Annual VACC ProcureCon Buyer Expo
- City of Norfolk BIZ Connection - Small Business Technical Assistance Clinic
- SAVE THE DATE - APRIL 27, 2022 - DOING BUSINESS WITH THE PORT OF VIRGINIA VIRTUAL EVENT - REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON MARCH 1ST
A SWaM vendor is a Small, Women-owned or Minority-owned business that has been certified through the Commonwealth by Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD). For more information please visit sbsd.virginia.gov.
All qualifying small, women or minority owned businesses are strongly encouraged to become certified. They can be certified by completing the initial certification application and submitting required documents online to http://sbsd.virginia.gov/business-certifications-2/.The Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) will then contact you to either request additional documents or provide your SWaM certification number. Contact SBSD at 804-786-6585 for further information on the SWaM certification process.
No. SWaM vendors shall be utilized when prices are fair and reasonable. However, all efforts shall be made to utilize a SWaM vendor.
Executive Order 35
Governor Northam Signs Executive Order to Advance Equity for Virginia's Small, Women-owned, Minority-owned, and Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses. For more information on Executive Order 35, please see governor.virginia.gov. As a helpful tool, we have provided the Executive Order 35 Aid to help locate SWaM and Cooperative Contract vendors.