Virtual Advising Assistance
Advisors are available to assist you remotely during Virtual Drop In Hours. If you have questions, call 757-683-5137 or email HSAdvising@odu.edu and an advisor will assist you as soon as possible. Have a good day and be well!Academic Success Resources
The Health Sciences Advising Center provides academic advising services to students who intend to apply to academic programs in the College of Health Sciences. Each semester you are required to meet with an advisor to ensure that you are on track toward applying to your intended program. At your advising appointment, we will discuss your major requirements and academic goals, identify appropriate resources to assist in your academic success, and answer questions about applying to your intended program. Advisors are assigned by last name:
A-G VACANT-Contact Advising Center for assistance
H-P Kristen Haben
Q-Z Leanne White
Current students: Current students should schedule an appointment via the Student Success Services system in the MyODU portal. Please use this guide to assist you. Appointments are not confirmed until you receive an appointment confirmation email, so please be sure to follow the instructions carefully and check your ODU student email account for an appointment confirmation. Please arrive promptly; students who arrive more than 10 minutes late to an advising appointment will be asked to reschedule. If you need assistance in scheduling, please email HSAdvising@odu.edu.
New Freshman: Register to attend Monarch Orientation where you will meet with an advisor and register for classes.
New Transfer students (24+ credits): We recommend attending Monarch Orientation, however, transfer students who have completed 24+ credit hours may register to attend a Transfer Advising Session. Students who are unable to attend may contact their assigned advisor directly. Always provide your name and UIN when contacting your advisor.
Location:Our office is located on the third floor of the Health Sciences Building (4608 Hampton Blvd). The stairwell and elevator to the third floor are located on the 47th street side of the building. The Advising Center main office will remain closed for the remainder of the spring semester. Advisors are available to assist you remotely M-F during regular business hours. Please email HSAdvising@odu.edu if you need assistance in scheduling an appointment. Thank you for your patience during this time.
Director of Advising
Advisors are assigned by last name, A-G: VACANT, H-P: Kristen Haben, Q-Z: Leanne White.
Advising and Registration
Parallel Plans and Minors
Your Advisor Will...
- create an open, respectful and supportive environment
- provide thorough information about University and College of Health Sciences policies and procedures
- provide you with information about resources on campus
- provide program application assistance
- maintain your confidentiality and listen carefully to your questions as well as career and academic goals
As a Student You Should...
- be engaged in the advising process, by reading your email regularly and meeting with your advisor in a timely manner to avoid delays in registration.
- prepare for your advising appointment by gathering the information needed to understand program requirements, course options and prerequisite requirements before meeting with your advisor.
- utilize DegreeWorks and other University provided technologies to create a degree plan, in consultation with your advisor, that will successfully prepare you for application to your program.
- actively seek and participate in other educational and co-curricular opportunities that will help you achieve your academic and career goals.
- take responsibility for your academic success!
Baccalaureate Programs Information
Admission into Health Sciences majors is selective and competitive. Make sure to review the admissions criteria for your intended major before applying. All programs (except Environmental Health and Health Sciences) are lock-step. Most programs start in the fall. Additional information regarding each major can be found below: